Algehele telling5

Aangedryf deur Guardian.co.ukHierdie artikel getiteld “Apple iPhone 6 Meer: dit is 'n baie groot telefoon en dit voel groot – review” is geskryf deur Charles Arthur, vir theguardian.com op Woensdag 17 September 2014 19.07 UTC

Te groot. Hierdie ding is te groot. Waaay te groot. Dit is… eintlik, dat die skerm is redelik mooi, is dit nie? Sjoe, jy kan regtig 'n baie van die inhoud te kry op daar, kan jy nie? Haai, my hand is gewoond raak aan die grootte. Dit is heel gemaklik, is dit nie?

En dit is hoe dit gaan met die iPhone 6 Meer. Ek verwag om dit heeltemal te groot te vind, en op die eerste van my verwagtinge voldoen. Maar gee dit 'n paar minute, miskien 'n paar dae, en jy sal vind jouself vreemd aangetrokke tot sy groot-oënskynlike skerm.

"Phablets", as die 5.5in (14 cm)-plus skerm grootte beskryf (wat blyk te trek uit Scott Webster in Junie 2010, dan verwys na 'n 7in Huawei toestel), is steeds gewild. In Asië en veral China, Hulle is baie gewild, hoewel minder in die VSA en baie minder in Europa. They make up about 15% of sales, although that’s growing fast.

Enter the iPhone

sedert 2011, Samsung has had the high-end phablet market to itself with the Galaxy Note range, now in its fourth generation. Nou, it has competitionand the Apple brand could badly dent its South Korean rival’s sales.

Compared to the 4.7in iPhone 6, die 6 Plus soon stops feeling absurd when you try them side by side. I often found that I would reach for the larger screen, given the choice, just because you can read a lot more on it.

The battery life is also better (proportionally more of the phone consists of batteries); and it has the same pleasing, rounded feel of the 6.

The comparison becomes especially harsh against last year’s Galaxy Note 3, which has a 5.7in (14.5cm) screen at 1920×1080 pixels. The Note’s body is almost exactly the same size, but chrome-edgedwhich looks terribly retro nowwith a wart-like camera. Die iPhone 6 Plus camera sticks out tooan entire millimetrebut there’s no comparison in looks or feel.

Spesifikasies

Skerm: 5.5in, 1920×1080 401ppi LED; 1300:1 contrast ratio
Verwerker: A8 64-bit ARM with M8 motion coprocessor
RAM: 1GB
Stoor: 16GB, 64GB, 128GB
Bedryfstelsel: IOS 8
Kamera: terug: 8MP with 1.5micron pixels, f2.2, Optical image stabilisation, 240fps video, sapphire lens cover, auto-HDR, face detection, 43-megapixel panorama, burst mode 10fps; 1080p video at 30fps or 60fps. Front camera: 1.2LP (1280×960), f2.2, 720p HD, burst mode.
Verbinding: LTE, Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0 met BLE, NFC; VoLTE (voice over LTE) capability, Wi-Fi call handoff capability
Dimensies: 158.1 x 778 x 7.1mm
Gewig: 172g
Ander: TouchID fingerprint sensor; NFC payment capability for ApplePay

Kamera

Die 6 Plus has optical image stabilisation (OIS) – long a staple of top-end Nokia (now Microsoft) Lumia phonesso that films taken while moving aren’t jerky. Instagram’s Hyperlapse got there first (calling on the gyroscope), maar die 6 Plus also adds 240fps slow-motion filming; expect this device to become the new “must-have” among photographers who like travelling light.

Screen and usability

Many apps will need rewriting to deal with the new screen, which feels as though it inflates text in apps that don’t use Apple’s text system. Dan weer, those who struggled to read text on the 4in screen of the iPhone 5 will welcome the extra 88% of screen real estate. Apple has also introduced a “Zoomed” viewing setting that really does inflate everything as though you’d slapped a magnifying glass over it allthe “grandpa setting”, as jy wil.

iPhone 6 Meer: zoom display enlarges icons
Zoomed display on the iPhone 6 en 6 Plus enlarges icons and text Foto: Guardian

Another concession to the gigantism is the “two-tap” gesture: double-tap the home button lightly, and in portrait mode the top of the screen slides down to the halfway mark, so that you can reach any part of the screen without adjusting your hand position.

Apple’s other tweak, specifically for the 6 Meer, is that when the home screen is rotated into landscape mode, the dock moves to the side; in the Mail app, you get a “two-up” view, with email headers on the left and body text on the right. Other apps will probably follow suit in exploiting this.

Samsung, daarenteen, offers various different user interface tweaks on the Note: there’s a quick app switching menu on the left-hand side, and you can also run two apps at a time (and resize each). The app switcher is just intrusive, though the two-up configuration clearly has potential uses (sê, messaging while looking at a map). Samsung also has a stylusthough I’ve heard internal data that suggests it’s used only 10% van die tyd, which in turn implies a big chance for Apple via the 90%.

Many of the best things about the 6 Meer – widgets, third-party keyboards, “extensions” to create app-based workflowswill only be exploited by new apps that appear in the next few months as developers get to grips with the new size and the potential it offers them. Vir nou, al, it’s a surprisingly big phone that becomes increasingly familiar with use.

Prys

Die iPhone 6 Plus costs from £619 (inc VAT)/$749 (ex taxes) for 16GB storage.

Uitspraak

Choosing between the iPhone 6 Plus and the smaller iPhone 6 could be surprisingly difficult if your hand, and your wallet, is large enough. It is large, yet the extra screen space is a boon. But that also makes it unwieldy, and could increase the risk of dropping it. Compared to other phablets, it’s lighter and thinner – but not cheaper

Voor: large and thin; bright screen; best battery life of any iPhone; adaptations for extra-large screen; IOS 8 allows third-party keyboards, workflow extensions and widgets

Nadele: duur; may be unwieldy if you don’t have particularly large hands

Apple iPhone 6: dunner, vinniger en effens goedkoper – review

IOS 8 review: the iPhone and iPad get customised, extended and deepened

• This footnote was appended on 23 September 2014. Charles Arthur’s travel and accommodation was paid for by Apple.

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010

Gepubliseer via die Guardian Nuusvoer plugin vir WordPress.